GETTING BACK TO THE BASICS OF BREAD
SLOW MEETS DOUGH with Schoon Bread
Schoon Video from Fritz Schoon on Vimeo.
All of this made SCHOON the obvious choice when we went looking for a better bread to use in Kauai kitchens. After a lot of chewing (and chewing it over) we finally settled on their sourdough. Sustainably farmed, stone-milled and made the traditional way using locally sourced grains and wheat, there’s love baked into every hand-shaped loaf.
Goes With Your Gut
This is going to get a little scientific, but here’s what makes sourdough the superior slice for sensitive stomachs:
- It’s easier to digest. Research says this could be because of its prebiotic content and probiotic-like properties. Prebiotics are non-digestible fibers that feed the beneficial bacteria in your gut. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria found in some foods and supplements.
- It’s more nutritious. Although it’s often made from the same flour as other kinds of bread, the natural fermentation process improves sourdough’s nutrition profile.
- It contains higher levels of folate and antioxidants than other breads.
- It’s lower phytate levels helps the body absorb the nutrients in it more easily.
- The slow fermentation method may also degrade gluten more than baker’s yeast.
Sourdough’s Little Secret: This crusty character may have a better effect on blood sugar and insulin levels than other types of bread, though the reason for this isn’t completely understood. Yet.
Come To The Crust
Taste the upper crust of better baking at your nearest Kauai with a SCHOON sourdough sandwich or crunchy croutons on a salad – it’s the bread with benefits!
The Crust Comes To You
Find us on Uber Eats and Mr D Food. (Apple or Android)
Download the Kauai app for Android and Apple and start earning rewards and discounts every time you order – Freshness On Your Phone.
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for the freshest news and offers.